|LETTER TO EDITOR
|Year : 2019 | Volume
| Issue : 1 | Page : 17
Ocular involvement of sarcoidosis
Jamir Pitton Rissardo MD 1, Ana Letícia Fornari Caprara2
1 Department of Neurology; Department of Medicine, University of Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
2 Departments of Neurology; Medicine, University of Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
|Date of Web Publication||03-Dec-2019|
Jamir Pitton Rissardo
Rua Roraima, Santa Maria, Rio Grande Do Sul
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Rissardo JP, Fornari Caprara AL. Ocular involvement of sarcoidosis. Pan Am J Ophthalmol 2019;1:17
We read the article entitled “Multimodal imaging ocular sarcoidosis” on the esteemed “The Pan-American Journal of Ophthalmology” with great interest. Larrea et al. reported a case of an adult female presenting with optic features. Fundus photography (FP), fluorescein angiography (FA), and optical coherence tomography (OCT) angiography were used and showed interesting findings. After, a skin biopsy was done and confirmed the diagnosis.
Here, we would like to provide the mnemonic “SARCOIDOSIS” to help to remember the main features in the ocular involvement of sarcoidosis.,,,,
- “S”ynechiae posterior that are adhesions on slit lamp (SL)
- “A”nterior chamber high cellularity on SL. Furthermore, they are commonly seen as hyperreflective dots on OCT
- “R”etinal periphlebitis by FP
- “C”horoidal capillary density reduced on OCT
- “O”ptic disc granulomas that are suggested when there are subretinal elevated lesions on FP
- “I”nferior granulomatous keratotic precipitates on SL
- “D”iffuse capillary leakage on FA
- “O”ptic disc edema on FP
- “S”ubretinal lesions hypopigmented on SL
- “I”solated areas of flow in the plexus and choriocapillaris on OCT
- “S”mall hypointense gray areas of retinal capillary hypoperfusion on OCT.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
| References|| |
Larrea J, Malo LC, Jaramillo-D JJ, Rangel CM. Multimodal imaging ocular sarcoidosis. Pan Am J Ophthalmol 2019;1:14. [Full text]
Acharya NR, Browne EN, Rao N, Mochizuki M; International Ocular Sarcoidosis Working Group. Distinguishing features of ocular sarcoidosis in an international cohort of uveitis patients. Ophthalmology 2018;125:119-26.
Groen F, Rothova A. Ocular involvement in sarcoidosis. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2017;38:514-22.
Mochizuki M, Smith JR, Takase H, Kaburaki T, Acharya NR, Rao NA, et al
. Revised criteria of International Workshop on Ocular Sarcoidosis (IWOS) for the diagnosis of ocular sarcoidosis. Br J Ophthalmol 2019;103:1418-22.
Pasadhika S, Rosenbaum JT. Ocular sarcoidosis. Clin Chest Med 2015;36:669-83.